The year of the goat is running away from me. Maybe it is the feeling of time that changes when you get older or time flies when you are enjoying yourself? It has been six months since I have joined the blogging community and I have discovered many great blogs and writers and I have come to stay. Many tasks are easier and quicker now and I feel like it is time for some tweaking here…
- I appreciate the writing bit of it all and I genuinely like the process of putting a post together. It may not always look incredibly polished but at least it keeps me pretty sane.
- I seem to like semicolons and thoughts in brackets (but that’s okay).
- I have managed not to start a sentence with “and” yet.
- I don’t like starting sentences with “I”.
- At first I found my writing without a cause very liberating but I am starting to want a bit more structure.
- I would like to revise some comma rules and quadruple my adjectives, as there are a few more words than awesome, cute, great and nice.
- Once I manage this, I will move on to verbs. Pinky swear.
- I am trying to make my writing more personal without being too private.
- I will take more time to edit the written words.
- I may need a break from self-help books and Elvis movies.
- Sometimes you just need to post and move on with your life.
- I am starting to wonder, if I might enjoy the process of writing more, if I wrote in German.
- There are mum bloggers with 4 kids who blog for a living and I have absolutely no clue how they do that. All successful people I know sacrifice their sleep, maybe that’s the secret or it is time to get more organized. I’ve missed a week here and there and my blogging schedule went completely out of the window. I also missed a lot of posts from bloggers I love reading.
- I am catching up in my reader (which is not procrastinating).
- I would like to understand the blogging etiquette better and to progress to writing a decent comment.
- Next in line is Social Media. I am not a fan of Facebook and with that attitude I won’t get far… My Pinterest needs a bit of tuning and hashtagging and all that and I am eager to find out what that whole Twitter thing is all about.
- Occasionally life just gets in the way. Things can happen to friends and family that turn everything upside down and are not incredibly inspiring to be punny and there are bills to pay and dishes to do and Hungry Hippos to play and…
- Blogging 101. 3rd time lucky?
- I wonder if the layout is a bit much on the eyes?
- I would really like to include a blogroll but I am not sure how/where that would fit well.
- The posting schedule is more flexible now. I decided for myself it is better to postpone or skip, rather than posting something half-heartedly.
How do you handle these things?
I’d be happy about any feedback to help me improve this blog.
6 thoughts on “Writing Without a Cause – On Six Months of Blogging”
I always enjoy your posts and blog because it is different from any of the others I follow. I believe that blogging is like everything else in life, it takes time and experience to learn what matters to you and to grow with it. One of my favorite things about blogging is connecting with people from all around the globe, learning from each other at Blogging University and having fun doing it.
I am positive that you will do just fine on your blogging journey. Try out different things, continue with what works for you and leave behind what doesn’t.
All your thoughts are, pardon the pun, thought provoking!
Thank you!! I follow very different blogs, too and it is great to have a look into the minds of like minded people, grow and finding a place in this community. You know I always like a good pun 😉
Your blog is great, very organized, easy to find things. Entertaining to boot. The best English I’ve read so far. (I almost started that sentence with “and” because I do that a lot for some reason.)
I too would like to learn “blog etiquette” especially how to write a decent comment. Mine are always a bit awkward. Like the spelling of the word…
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Thank you so much! Thanks for stopping by, I really appreciate it and I think this was a splendid comment… I’m always tempted to start with ‘and’. If I give in, I’ll let you know!
Congratulations on 6 months! We have been blogging for about the same length of time. I was going to suggest Blogging 101 but see you have done it twice. Have you thought about the Photo 101 or Blogging 201? I think they have have a Writing 101 too? Personally I think it is an ongoing process. Keep experimenting, do what you like and note what your readers seem to enjoy. Thank you for the likes on my posts, much appreciated.
Thank you! I have just discovered your comment in my spam folder…. Photo 101 would probably be good for me, as they could do with a bit of tweaking 🙂 It sure is a work in progress